How Can Awareness Reduce Data Security Breaches Online?
Surprising surveys by trusted sources like BestVPN.com reveal shocking statistics that despite users are constantly worried about the online security threats, only a minority takes initiatives towards adopting cybersecurity measures. In fact, the us cyber security survey revealed that internet users were unhappy about security lapses by giants like Facebook and Google, yet most of them were unaware of what to do next and how to secure their devices from vulnerabilities.
Despite constant efforts and stringent online security policies, people fail to understand what to do to reduce data security breaches and how to handle them if they happen. The guide below lists a few such effective tips that can make cyberspace more secure.
- Basic Protection For IoT Devices
Ever wondered why cybersecurity breaches are on the rise? Unawareness is certainly one reason, but the bigger one is the increase in the number of internet users and internet devices. The basic 3 cyber protection tips that are elemental include;
- A strong backdoor password for all the devices connected to the internet
- A secure firewall system to protect the gateway between the internet and the information on the device
- An effective antivirus that can spontaneously recognize viruses
Next, to the 3 security layers come system and network debugging. Bugs are the vulnerabilities that hackers use to spread malware within the entire network. One infected device can corrupt all the systems in a network. Therefore, adopt all means to constantly remove bugs.
- Run network testing and software testing scans
- Run bounty programs to locate reliable ethical hackers who can locate bugs and fix them
- Install updates by software manufacturers whenever released
- Keep rebooting the router. Rebooting can remove hidden malware-infected bugs
- Network Segmentation
Having multiple independent networks instead of one seems like the best way to reduce the damage if hackers gain forced entry.
- Each network is independent. Thus, hackers cannot corrupt the systems running on different networks at once.
- The damage is limited because the entire company isn’t hacked. There’s still time and the cyber team can copy the information from the hacked network while hackers are trying to spread malware.
- Alert Cybersecurity Team
Network segmentation is surely a smart way. But its efficiency depends upon the awareness of the cybersecurity team. The malware can be limited only when the team realizes that the company is under attack because;
- Employees on different networks need to disengage from using their systems. Hackers can send the same phishing email to all employees. If even a single system gets infected in another system, the other network will be hacked as well. But, if the security and recovery team find out about the breach sooner, employees can be alerted.
- There should be a faster means to convey information to the employees. It reduces the risk of malware spread substantially.